This chapter was written by Kevin Anthony & Christy Douglass. Chapter thumbnail photo by HausPhotoMedia.com on Unsplash. Graphics by Alanna Clunen.
At the end of this section, students will be able to:
- Describe the origins and evolution of the lodging industry from the earliest recorded establishments to the present day
- Summarize the key operational processes and basic management functions in the lodging service delivery system
- Describe career opportunities within the lodging segment of the hospitality industry
- Suggest tactics lodging operations can utilize to be sustainable and positively impact the planet
- Reflect on strategies lodging operations can implement to positively impact diversity and inclusion within the industry