Did you know you can store all of your documents in the cloud using your Los Rios Google Drive? You have access to your personal Google Drive as soon as you become a student. This is a great option for backing up your files and for creating new ones. To access your Los Rios Google Drive:
- Go to the CRC homepage (https://www.crc.losrios.edu/)
- In the top ribbon, click Student Login and then the link for Los Rios Gmail and Google Apps
- The login screen will appear – enter your wID and password to access the Los Rios Hub
The Los Rios Hub includes links to Canvas, your Los Rios Gmail, the CRC Library, your Los Rios Google Drive, and more.
Clicking on the Google Drive link takes you to your personal storage area where you can create Google docs (word processing), Sheets (spreadsheets), Slides (slide shows), and other things. You can also upload documents, including PDFs, images, and more.
To Upload Files or Create New Ones:
- Click on the New icon, which is usually in the upper left corner.
- A menu appears and you can choose what you want to do including creating folders, uploading files, and creating new files.
To Create a Google Doc:
- After clicking new – click the Google Docs link
- A new tab will open with your new document. The upper menu in a Google Doc allows you to format your document and includes a very user-friendly menu.
New documents don’t have a name or title. To name your document, click on “Untitled document” in the upper left and name your document. Google Docs save automatically as you type and can even be set to be available “offline” so you don’t need to have an internet connection to edit them. Once you create anything using Google Apps, it will show up on your Google Drive homepage by clicking on My Drive:
You can also upload any type of files (PDFs, images, etc.) to Google Drive by dragging them onto the home screen. You should see this pop up as you are dragging:
This is an overview of a few of the things you can do with Google Drive. If you want to get more training try:
- Google’s support page ( https://support.google.com/drive/answer/2424384 )
- The CRC Library’s Google Docs How To videos (https://bit.ly/gdochowto)
This handout is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License,