Humans have been making tools for thousands of years and Computer Numerical Control (CNC) machines are modern tools that have been made possible with the invention of computers. CNC Machines can manufacture objects much faster and more accurately that non-computerized machines, this makes them ideal for high-volume part production.
Today's Engineers and Machinists typically follow these steps when making precision parts:
- Use Computer Aided Design (CAD) software to create 3D model of the object.
- Simulate manufacturing tool-paths with Computer Aided Manufacturing (CAM) software like Autodesk Fusion360.
- Generate G-code from you CAM software, and transfer your G-code to a CNC Machine like a Haas 3-Axis Mill.
The following slideshows include CAD / CAM / CNC tutorials.
1. CAD Tutorial - Autodesk Fusion360
2. CAM Tutorial - Autodesk Fusion360
3. CNC Tutorial - Haas Automation