Upon successful completion of this chapter, you will be able to:
- Explain the concept of globalization;
- Describe the role of information technology in globalization;
- Identify the issues experienced by firms as they face a global economy; and
- Define the digital divide and explain Nielsen’s three stages of the digital divide.
The rapid rise of the Internet has made it easier than ever to do business worldwide. This chapter will look at the impact that the Internet is having on the globalization of business. Firms will need to manage challenges and leverage opportunities due to globalization and digitalization. It will discuss the digital divide concept, what steps have been taken to date to alleviate it, and what more needs to be done.
- 220.127.116.11: Introduction
- Discuss globalization past and present.
- 18.104.22.168: The Global Firm
- Discuss why firms go global.
- 22.214.171.124: The Digital Divide
- The rapid rise of the Internet has created a Digital Divide that could prevent a certain group of people from receiving adequate access to technologies.