7.5: Launching Windows Defender Security Center
- Page ID
To get started, you can launch the app from the Start menu, or you can double-click the shield icon from the notification area in the taskbar. Although "Home" doesn't include any setting that you can manage, it's a good place to get started, as it provides an overview of the protection of your device. On this page, you can view the status of all the security features and alerts of any action that needs to be taken to keep your computer secure. Also, at the top of the page, you'll be able to find antivirus information, such as when the last scan was performed and when the last definition was installed. The shield icon in the notification area is also capable of alerting you when an action needs to be taken. If there is more than one alert, only the most severe warning will be displayed (Windows Central, n.d.). Windows Defender Security Center includes five areas of protection that you can manage and monitor.
- Virus & threat protection: includes the Windows Defender Antivirus settings, and it allows you to monitor the malware protection, scan your device for threats, and set up its advanced anti-ransomware feature.
- Device performance & health: allows you to check the health and performance of your computer and provides a mechanism to clean up your device to fix errors and slowdown problems.
- Firewall & network protection: lets you monitor the status of network connections, and you can configure various Windows Defender Firewall settings.
- App and browser control: help you to protect your device and data from malicious code hidden on apps, files, and websites.
- Family options: offers easy access to manage your devices and kids' online experience using a Microsoft account.