Skip to main content
4.14: Study Questions
- Last updated
Save as PDF
- What is the difference between data, information, and knowledge?
- Explain in your own words the difference between hardware and software components of information systems.
- What is the difference between quantitative data and qualitative data? In what situations could the number 63 be considered qualitative data?
- What are the characteristics of a relational database?
- When would using a personal DBMS make sense?
- What is the difference between a spreadsheet and a database? List three differences between them.
- Describe what the term normalization means.
- What is Big Data?
- Name a database you interact with frequently. What would some of the field names be?
- Describe the benefits and what open-source data is.
- Name three advantages of using a data warehouse.
- What is data mining?
- Review the design of the Student Clubs database earlier in this chapter. Reviewing the lists of data types given, what data types would you assign to each of the fields in each of the tables. What lengths would you assign to the text fields?
- Review structured and unstructured data and list five reasons to use each.
- Using Microsoft Access, download the database file of comprehensive baseball statistics from the website
- SeanLahman.com. (If you don’t have Microsoft Access, you can download an abridged version of the file here that is compatible with Apache Open Office). Review the structure of the tables included in the database. Come up with three different data-mining experiments you would like to try, and explain which fields in which tables would have to be analyzed.
- Do some original research and find two examples of data mining. Summarize each example and then write about what the two examples have in common.
- Conduct some independent research on the process of business intelligence. Using at least two scholarly or practitioner sources, write a two-page paper giving examples of how business intelligence is being used.
- Conduct some independent research on the latest technologies being used for knowledge management. Using at least two scholarly or practitioner sources, write a two-page paper giving examples of software applications or new technologies being used in this field.