Skip to main content
1.6: Study Questions
- Last updated
Save as PDF
- What are the components that make up an information system?
- List three examples of information system hardware
- Identify which component of information systems include Microsoft Windows
- What is application software?
- Describe the different roles people play in information systems
- Describe what a process is and its purpose
- What was invented first, the personal computer or the Internet?
- Which comes first, the internet or the world wide web?
- What helps make the internet usable for the masses, not just researchers?
- What does it mean to say we are in a “post-PC and Web 2.0 world”?
- What is Carr’s main argument about information technology? Is it true then, and is it true now?
- Suppose you had to explain to a member of your family or one of your closest friends the concept of an information system. How would you define it? Write a one-paragraph description in your own words that you feel would best describe an information system to your friends or family.
- Of the six components of an information system (hardware, software, data, network communications, people, process), which do you think is the most important to a business organization's success? Write a one-paragraph answer to this question that includes an example from your personal experience to support your answer.
- We all interact with various information systems every day: at the grocery store, at work, at school, even in our cars (at least some of us). Make a list of the different information systems you interact with every day. See if you can identify the technologies, people, and processes involved in making these systems work.
- Do you agree that we are in a post-Web 2.0 stage in the evolution of information systems? Some people argue that we will always need the personal computer, but it will not be the primary device used to manipulate information. Others think that a whole new era of mobile, biological, or even neurological computing is coming. Do some original research and make your prediction about what business computing will look like in the next three to five years.
- The Walmart case study introduced you to how that company used information systems to become the world’s leading retailer. Walmart has continued to innovate and is still looked to as a leader in the use of technology. Do some original research and write a one-page report detailing a new technology that Walmart has recently implemented or is pioneering to stay competitive.