Upon successful completion of this chapter, you will be able to:
- Describe information systems hardware.
- Identify the primary components of a computer and the functions they perform.
- Explain the effect of the commoditization of the personal computer.
We discuss hardware and how it works. We will look at different types of computing devices, computer parts, learn how they interact and the effect of the commoditization of these devices.
- 2.1: Introduction
- Discuss hardware, the first of the six components: hardware, software, data, communication, people, and process
- 2.2: Tour of a Digital Device
- Examining the personal computer and its hardware components.
- 2.3: Sidebar- Moore’s Law
- Experts provide insight if Moore's Law is still viable in todays times.
- 2.4: Removable Media
- Advancement of technology in removable media.
- 2.5: Other Computing Devices
- As personal computer technologies have become more commonplace, many of the components have been integrated into other devices that previously were purely mechanical. We have also seen an evolution in what defines a computer. Ever since the invention of the personal computer, users have clamored for a way to carry them around. Here we will examine several types of devices that represent the latest trends in personal computing.
- 2.6: Summary
- Gaining an understanding of information systems focusing on consumer devices such as the personal computer, tablet, and Bluetooth.
- 2.7: Study Questions
- Test your knowledge of information systems hardware.