Skip to main content
2.7: Study Questions
- Last updated
Save as PDF
- Write your own description of what the term information systems hardware means.
- Explain why Moore’s Law may not be a valid theory in the next five years.
- Write a summary of one of the items linked to in the “Integrated Computing” section.
- Explain why the personal computer is now considered a commodity.
- What is the difference between a USB and a USB portal, and what was the reason for the need?.
- List the following in increasing order (slowest to fastest): megahertz, kilohertz, gigahertz.
- What are the differences between HDD and SSD?
- Why are desktops declining in popularity?.
- What is IoT?
- Why is Apple a leader in the computer industry?
- Review the sidebar on the binary number system. How would you represent the number 16 in binary? How about the number 100? Besides decimal and binary, other number bases are used in computing and programming. One of the most used bases is hexadecimal, which is base-16. In base-16, the numerals 0 through 9 are supplemented with the letters A (10) through F (15). How would you represent the decimal number 100 in hexadecimal?
- Go to Old-Computer.com - Pick one computer from the listing and write a brief summary. Include the specifications for CPU, memory, and screen size. Now find the specifications of a computer being offered for sale today and compare. Did Moore’s Law hold?
- Under the category of IoT, pick two products and explain how IoT has changed the product. Review the price before and after the technology was introduced. Has this new technology increased popularity for the item?.
- Go on the web and compare and contrast two smartphones on the market. Is one better than the other, and if so, why. Be sure to include the price.
- Review the e-waste policies in your area. Do you feel they are helping or ignoring this growing crisis?
- Now find at least two more scholarly articles on this topic. Prepare a PowerPoint of at least 10 slides that summarize the issue and recommend a possible solution based on your research.
- As with any technology text, there have been advances in technologies since publication. What technology that has been developed recently would you add to this chapter?
- What is the current state of solid-state drives vs. hard disks? Describe the ideal user for each. Do original research online where you can compare prices on solid-state drives and hard disks. Be sure you note the differences in price, capacity, and speed.