Upon successful completion of this chapter, you will be able to:
- Define the term software;
- Describe the two primary categories of software;
- Describe the role ERP software plays in an organization;
- Describe the process to write a computer program;
- Describe cloud computing and its advantages and disadvantages for use in an organization; and
- Define the term open-source and identify its primary characteristics.
Software and hardware cannot function without each other. Without software, hardware is useless. Without hardware, the software has no hardware to run on. This chapter discusses the types of software, their purpose, and how they support different hardware devices, individuals, groups, and organizations.
- 3.1: Introduction to Software
- Discuss the second of the six components of an information system: software.
- 3.2: Types of Software
- This section covers the different types of software: System software and application.
- 3.3: Cloud Computing
- Introduction to Cloud computing and virtualization.
- 3.4: Software Creation
- Discuss software creation and programming languages.
- 3.6: Study Questions
- List study and exercises.