Upon successful completion of this chapter, you will be able to:
- Explain the overall process of developing a new software application;
- Explain the differences between software development methodologies;
- Understand the different types of programming languages used to develop software;
- Understand some of the issues surrounding the development of mobile applications; and
- Identify the four primary implementation policies.
People build information systems for people’s use. This chapter will look at different methods to manage an information system's development process, with special attention to software development, review mobile application development, and discuss end-user computing. We will look at key trade-offs that organizations face in making critical decisions to “build vs. buy or subscribe,” the balancing act between scope, cost, and time while delivering a high-quality project and obtaining the buy-in from the users.
- 10.1: Introduction
- Discuss the different methods of taking those ideas and bringing them to reality, a process known as information systems development.
- 10.2: Systems Development Life Cycle (SDLC) Model
- Discuss the Systems Development Life Cycle (SDLC) Model and other methods to manage IS Projects.
- 10.3: Software Development
- This section discusses the process to produce good quality software.
- 10.4: Implementation Methodologies
- This section discussed various implementation methodologies and how to manage the change process.